TN (NAFTA) Visas
The TN visa allows a Canadian or Mexican professional to work in the U.S. The list of eligible TN professions is listed below. Call or email with any questions you have. We are always happy to let you speak directly with a NAFTA immigration expert.
A Canadian or Mexican individual must be coming to the U.S. to work temporarily in one of the professions listed in the appendix to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Here are the listed professions:
- Accountant (baccalaureate, CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA)
- Animal breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Architect (baccalaureate or state/provincial license. Also see Landscape Architect, below)
- Computer systems analyst who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma *and three years' experience
- Dairy Scientist
- Dentist (DDS, DMD, or state/provincial license)
- Dietician (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
- Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster who must have: baccalaureate or 3 years' experience in claims adjustment, and completed training in appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims.
- Engineer (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
- Forester (baccalaureate or state/provincial license) (Also see Sylviculturist, below)
- Graphic Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.
- Hotel Manager who must have: baccalaureate in hotel/restaurant management, or post secondary diploma in hotel/restaurant management, and three years' experience in hotel restaurant management.
- Industrial Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years experience.
- Interior Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.
- Land Surveyor (baccalaureate or state/provincial/federal license)
- Landscape Architect
- Lawyer (member of state/provincial bar, or LLB, JD, LLL, or BCL)
- Librarian (MLS, or BLS. BLS must be one for which another baccalaureate degree was a pre-requisite)
- Management Consultant who must have: baccalaureate or five years' experience in consulting or related field.
- Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Technologist (Canada) who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma *and three years' experience. (U.S. job must be in a laboratory to perform chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, or bacteriological tests, and analyses for diagnosis, treatment or prevention of disease)
- Nurse, Registered (must have state/provincial license)
- Occupational Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
- Pharmacist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
- Physician (teaching and/or research only, MD or state/provincial license)
- Physio/Physical Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Psychologist (must have state/provincial license. Cannot qualify with just baccalaureate degree)
- Range Manager/Range Conservationist
- Recreational Therapist
- Research Assistant (baccalaureate and U.S. job in a post-secondary educational institute)
- Social Worker
- Soil Scientist
- Sylviculturist/Forestry Specialist (also see Forester, above)
- Teacher (baccalaureate degree: must be coming to work for a college, seminary or university only); no secondary or elementary school teaching.
- Technician or Technologist, Scientific. (E.g.: Electronic engineering technician.) who must: work in direct support of professionals in one of these disciplines: biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, physics OR possess theoretical knowledge of discipline, and solve practical problems in discipline, or apply principles of the discipline to basic or applied research
- Urban Planner
- Veterinarian (DVM, DMV, or state/provincial license)
- Vocational Counsellor
- Writer, Technical Publications (Technical Publications Writer) who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.
For a detailed listing of NAFTA educational requirements CLICK HERE.
Spouse and Children
The spouse and children of TN visa holders are issued TD visas. They are not eligible for employment authorization, but can attend school in the U.S.. The TN catagory has no statuate of limitations and can be reissued any number of times. Spouses and unmarried minor children may follow TN visa holder, but may not accept employment. They may, however, attend school full time.
We provide full service representation for filing in the U.S., processing at the consulate in the foreign country, and entering the U.S. We defend against actions and requests for evidence from the government and guide the case through the processing to ensure it is handled properly. Due to the federal nature of immigration law, we serve clients in all U.S. states and throughout the world. Contact us for more information or to start your case.